Welcome to your go-to guide for achieving the perfect sunless tan! A flawless spray tan starts with proper skin preparation, and the key is in the exfoliation. Here's how you can get ready for that gorgeous, even tan and make it last!
Before Your Spray Tan: Exfoliation is Key
What is exfoliation?
Exfoliation is a skincare process that involves the removal of the outermost layer of dead skin cells from the epidermis. There are two main types of exfoliation:
Physical Exfoliation: This involves using an abrasive substance or tool to physically remove dead skin cells. Examples include facial scrubs with microbeads, sugar or salt crystals, exfoliating brushes, and loofahs. The mechanical action of rubbing these materials against the skin helps to slough away old skin cells.
Chemical Exfoliation: This uses chemicals, such as alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs) or beta hydroxy acids (BHAs), to gently dissolve and remove dead skin cells. Chemical exfoliants often come in the form of serums, toners, or peels. Examples include glycolic acid, lactic acid, and salicylic acid. These chemicals break the bonds between skin cells.
Exfoliation offers several benefits, including improved skin texture and tone, prevention of acne, better absorption of skincare products, and stimulation of collagen synthesis. However, it's important to choose the right type of exfoliation for your skin type and to not over-exfoliate, as this can lead to skin irritation and damage.
About 24 hours before your spray tan, exfoliate your skin. Use a gentle exfoliator that suits your skin type. This crucial step removes dead skin cells, ensuring an even application of the tan. We recommend our new and all natural S+B Exfoliating Scrub.
Why our scrub?
- 100% naturally derived
- Free of Sulfates, Parabens, Mineral Oil, Artificial Colors, Synthetic Fragrances, Phthalates
- Features: Exfoliating, Invigorating, Detoxifying, Brightening, Soothing, Moisturizing
- The plant-based dynamic duo of Bamboo Stem Extract sourced from France and luxurious Jojoba Esters gently exfoliate
- Charcoal Powder draws out dirt and toxins, improving skin texture and appearance
- Soothing Aloe Vera has skin-protecting and healing properties
- Grapeseed Oil strengthens the skin’s barrier, reducing redness
- Green Tea Extract has exfoliating properties that help reduce acne and blackheads while removing dead skin, bacteria
- Jojoba Oil is full of nutrients like Vitamin E and B that improve skin elasticity and provide a full array of benefits.
Preparing Your Skin
Preparing your skin properly is a crucial step to ensure an even and long-lasting spray tan. The process involves a series of skincare routines that not only help in achieving the best possible tan but also maintain the health and appearance of your skin. Here are some detailed steps to prepare your skin for a spray tan:
Hydration and Moisturizing
- Post-Exfoliation Care: Immediately after exfoliating, it's important to rehydrate your skin. We recommend our S+B Hocoba Oil the day prior to your spray tan. Focus on typically dry areas such as elbows, knees, ankles, and any other patches prone to dryness.
- Maintain Skin Hydration: In the days leading up to your spray tan appointment, keep your skin well-hydrated. Drink plenty of water and use a daily moisturizer.
- Day of the Tan: On the day of your spray tan, it's advisable to skip applying lotion. While moisturizing is important in the days prior, lotions on the day of can create a barrier on your skin. Remember to shower before your tan, and avoid sweating right before.
Avoiding Certain Products
- Steer Clear of Oils: On the day you spray tan, avoid skincare products that contain oils. Oils can leave a film on the skin that interferes with the tanning solution, leading to an uneven tan.
- Perfume and Deodorant-Free: Similar to oils, products containing perfumes and deodorants can also affect how the tan develops. These products can react with the tanning solution and cause an uneven application or patchiness.
- Careful With Soaps and Body Washes: Use mild, non-moisturizing soaps and body washes before your appointment. Some products may have ingredients that could react with the tanning solution or create a barrier on the skin.
Additional Preparation Tips
- Get sugared before your tan: You can get sugared on the same day as your tan!
- By preparing properly, you can improve your spray tan and keep your skin healthy and looking good. Remember, the key to a flawless spray tan lies in the preparation.
What Do I Wear for a Spray Tan?
- Loose and Dark Attire: Choose clothing that is loose-fitting and dark in color to wear to your appointment. Tight clothing can rub against your skin and disrupt the freshly applied tan, leading to unevenness or smudging. Dark colors are preferable as they prevent any noticeable staining from the tanning solution.
- Consider Fabric Types: Opt for breathable, natural fabrics like cotton, which won't stick to your skin. Avoid materials like nylon or silk that might adhere to the tanning solution.
- Footwear Choices: Wear open sandals or flip-flops to prevent the tanning solution from rubbing off your feet.
What To Expect at My Appointment?
- S+B Sprayers will discuss your desired look: You’ll chat with your sprayer about the look you're aiming for. Whether you want a light sun-kissed glow or a deeper bronze, your sprayer will recommend the right shade and technique accordingly.
- Our Formula: Great for any and all skin tones, it’s vegan, made in the US, and you get 4 options of elixirs to select. Wondering if a spray tan is ok for sensitive skin? Our formula is meticulously made to be gentle even on sensitive skin.
- Skin Concerns: Inform our sprayers of any skin concerns you might have, such as dry patches, allergies, or recent skin treatments, as these factors can affect how the tan develops.
During the Application
- Your sprayer will guide you on how to stand or position yourself. Follow their instructions carefully to ensure an even application.
- Protective Measures: Use the provided protective gear like hair caps. We also provide hair-ties, disposable thongs, and flip flops.
- Stay Relaxed and Still: Try to stay as still as possible during the application to prevent smudging or uneven coverage.
- Drying Time: Allow adequate time for the tan to dry before dressing. Your sprayer will advise you on how long to wait, usually a few minutes.
- Avoid Contact with Water: Postpone showering, swimming, or sweating for a specified period after your tan, for a minimum of 1-3 hours, to allow the color to develop fully.
- First Shower Post-Tan: When you do shower for the first time, use lukewarm water and avoid exfoliating. Pat your skin dry instead of rubbing it.
- Hydration: Keep your skin well-moisturized after your tan to prolong its life and maintain an even fade.
- Sun Protection: Remember that a spray tan doesn't provide sun protection. Continue to use sunscreen when outdoors.
By following these guidelines during your spray tan appointment, you can enhance both the experience and the outcome, ensuring a natural-looking, even tan that meets your expectations.